Sunday, June 17, 2012

Battletech A Time of War

Ok so our kids group took a field trip to the FLGS for the Free RPG Day freebies and we were not disappointed.  Between my three boys and myself we got one of everything we wanted, and though it took a few moments I was able to get the kids into a demo of Battletech: A Time of War.

IT has been a few years since I have done anything with Battletech and even longer since MechWarrior but the numbers came back very quickly as I sat and watched the kids play.  The kids, all but one, seemed to have a good time despite the GM.

I have run games for companies and independent designers at various conventions for years and I have been told that I am pretty good at it.  I have seen different levels of being prepared and this GM knew the adventure well enough BUT didn't know the rules as well as I would like.  The GM kept on using the initiative system from Battletech the mini game not the rpg.  Modifiers were not being used, which isn't a big deal BUT she completely messed up the combat rules.  One of the things I always did was to make sure the player's left the table feeling great and like they had accomplished something.  This GM told them how poorly they did and maybe next time they should think about what they are doing.  I was VERY disappointed in what she had done and will follow up with the store and the Catalyst Labs contact that I have.

Oh I mentioned she knew the adventure well enough and I guess that is not the whole truth...she decided that four tanks and twenty men would be a good challenge for a group of new players with a broken down power mech meant for loading and industrial work NOT combat.

Now on top of all of that, I did pick up the rules and screen.  On the way home I gave the kids my speech on how they did, it is the one I would have given to them if I had GM'd for them.  They liked that much better and want to do something with the game but not just Mech versus Mech they want something more like Mission Impossible meets Black Ops.  I think I can handle that! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment