Monday, April 30, 2012

Lord of the Rings

Watched some LotR with the boys over last weekend and we started asking questions about what happened to who and how long had Gandalf been alive and well stuff like that.  Got me rolling on some good LotR RPG thoughts.

I played MERP and Rolemaster back in the day though I have long ago gotten rid of any of that stuff.  I think I still have the Decipher game lying about somewhere and I really should look at getting The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7.  I also have seen some interesting material on using OD+D rules to emulate the world of Middle Earth.

I would look at doing something in the Third Age after Bilbo and Before the War of the Ring and the Fellowship...that sits firmly in the era that Cubicle 7 is targeting.  We shall see....

3 comments:

  1. I am no Tolkien fanboy, the Silmarillion is the only book I liked. However, I once thought about running a game in the same era you are contemplating. I was going to set it along the northern edge of the map. I seem to recall a Big Bad being up there (maybe the Witch King?) and I was going to use them as the primary antagonist. It's an area not utilized in the movies (either set, cartoon or live action) and would allow me to put my own flavor into it, while allowing players unfamiliar with or not big fans of, the series, to have a greater potential of enjoyment whilst playing.

    I ran Decipher's demo of the game years ago. It ran okay, things felt intuitive at the lower level of that scenario. However, based on that scenario I came to two conclusions. The first is that the rules really favour the players. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just something to keep in mind while designing scenarios. 

    The other thing I noticed is that mid to upper power levels of the game might get wonky and unbalanced in power. That may fit the game world, if you really want a specialized wizard that can blow up the world or a fighter that can kill anything. I prefer a more even-keeled balance to the game, myself.

    I own the Decipher core book and their supplements for Twin Towers and Return. I also have many of the ICE books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek, your input is appreciated!

    I read the Silmarillion a long time ago and I don't remember enjoying it but alas I enjoyed Fellowship and Two Towers but not Return of the King...

    I need to look at The One Ring RPG and see if that is going to do it for me.

    Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was involved with the early play tests of that game. It was crunchy. I have no idea how the final product turned out.

    ReplyDelete